Types of Visas

Providing opportunities and assistance to professionals, individuals and families to achieve their dream to study, work, visit and live overseas.

This visa allows parents to temporarily/permanently live in Australia if their child is an Australian citizen, a permanent Australian resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

General Eligibility Criteria

The applicant might be eligible to apply for a parent category visa if:

  • The applicant has been sponsored by their child who is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen;
  • The child has been living in Australia lawfully for at least 2 years before the applicant lodges the visa application;
  • The applicant have a sponsor;
  • The applicant meets the Balance of family test criteria;
  • The applicant meets health and character requirements.

This visa allows the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia.

General Eligibility Criteria

The applicant must be sponsored and married or in a de facto relationship with:

  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian permanent resident
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen

The relationship must be genuine and ongoing. The applicant and the partner must live together, if they do not, any separation must be only temporary and both parties must freely consent to the relationship.

The applicant must also be older than 18 years of age and not be related to the partner by family. This means the applicant cannot be an ancestor or descendant of the partner, or have a parent in common.

Married Applicants

The marriage must be valid under Australian law. Same-sex couples can apply for this visa only based on their de facto relationship.

De Facto Applicants

Usually the de facto relationship must have existed for at least 12 months immediately before the applicant applies for this visa. However, the applicant can be granted a visa without having been in a de facto relationship for 12 months if:

  • S/he can demonstrate compelling and compassionate circumstances, such as having dependent children;
  • The de facto relationship has been registered in Australia (this is not available in all states and territories).

Length of stay

  • On the temporary 820 visa, you can stay until a decision is made on your permanent Partner visa (subclass 801).
  • On the permanent 801 visa, you can stay permanently.

This visa allows the applicant to stay in Australia as the guardian of an international student younger than 18 years of age studying in Australia on a student visa.

General Eligibility Criteria

The applicant must:

  • Be the student’s parent, legal guardian or relative;
  • Have enough money to support himself and the student during the applicant’s stay;
  • Be able to provide accommodation and other support;
  • Be at least 21 years of age

Length of stay

Up to five years

A special endorsement that is added to a passport that the government issues to students who are enrolled at qualified educational institutions. Student visas are non-immigrant visas that do not require the holder to obtain citizenship.

This visa is for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution.

This allows the student to live, study and work in Australia temporarily after s/he finished studies. Students are only able to access the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) once as a primary applicant.

The visa has two streams:

  • Graduate Work Stream
  • Post-Study Work Stream

If you are applying as the main applicant, you and anybody else covered by the application must be in Australia when you apply for this visa and when your visa is decided.

General Eligibility Criteria

The applicant must:

  • Be under 50 years of age;
  • Hold an eligible visa;
  • Have a recent qualification in a CRICOS-registered course;
  • Meet additional requirements of the relevant stream

The qualification must either:

  • Relate to an occupation on the skilled occupation list (Graduate Work Stream)
  • Have a higher education degree (Post-Study Work Stream)

Length of stay

  • Graduate Work Stream – 18 months
  • Post-Study Work Stream – two to four years

This visa allows the applicant to visit Australia:

  • To visit or for business visitor purposes;
  • For up to three, six or 12 months

The base application charge for this visa ranges from AUD140 to AUD1020.

The eVisitor (subclass 651) visa is free. The applicant must be a passport holder of a certain country.

The Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601) visa has an AUD20 service charge. The applicant must be a passport holder of a certain country.​

General Eligibility Criteria

The applicant might be able to get this visa:

  • if s/he is travelling to Australia as a visitor;
  • For business visitor activities;
  • To visit family;
  • On a tour with a registered travel agent from the People’s Republic of China

If you are in Australia you can apply for the Tourist stream of the Visitor visa online provided that you currently have a valid visa that does not have condition 8503 imposed.

If you are outside Australia only certain passport holders can apply for this visa online.

If you hold a passport from the People’s Republic of China and are applying from within China you might be able to apply for the Visitor Visa (subclass 600) Frequent Traveller stream visa.

This visa allows the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival.

The foreign-citizen will then apply for adjustment of status to a permanent resident (LPR) with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Because a fiancé(e) visa permits the holder to immigrate to the U.S. and marry a U.S. citizen shortly after arrival in the United States, the fiancé(e) must meet some of the requirements of an immigrant visa. Eligible children of K-1 visa applicants receive K-2 visas.

Under U.S. immigration law, a foreign-citizen fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen is the recipient of an approved Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), Form I-129F, who has been issued a nonimmigrant K-1 visa for travel to the United States in order to marry his or her U.S. citizen fiancé(e). Both the U.S. citizen and the K-1 visa applicant must have been legally free to marry at the time the petition was filed and must have remained so thereafter. The marriage must be legally possible according to laws of the U.S. state in which the marriage will take place.

In general, the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) and U.S. citizen sponsor must have met in person within the past two years. USCIS may grant an exception to this requirement, based on extreme hardship for the U.S. citizen sponsor to personally meet the foreign-citizen fiancé(e), or, for example, if it is contrary in the U.S. citizen sponsor’s or foreign-citizen fiancé(e)’s culture for a man and woman to meet before marriage.

General Eligibility Criteria

The applicant must bring the following forms and documents to the visa interview:

  • (1) One complete Form DS-160 and (2) two print the DS-160 confirmation page
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the U.S. (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions).
  • Divorce or death certificate(s) of any previous spouse(s) for both you and the U.S. citizen sponsor
  • Police certificates from your present country of residence and all countries where you have lived for six months or more since age 16 (Police certificates are also required for accompanying children age 16 or older)
  • Medical examination (vaccinations are optional, see below)
  • Evidence of financial support (Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, may be requested)
  • Two (2) 2×2 photographs. See the required photo format explained in Photograph Requirements
  • Evidence of relationship with your U.S. citizen fiancé(e)
  • Payment of fees